Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Monday, April 28, 2008

Lost in Kalentong

Hmmm...that was supposed to sound like Lost in Translation, but I think my attempt at a witty heading proved unsuccessful. But anyway...

Last week, on our way home from Makati, H decided to avoid EDSA traffic and instead passed through Mandaluyong. "Do I just go straight?" he asked, and I said yes, realizing too late that we really were supposed to go straight...if we had been on a parallel road. We ended up traversing Hoover Street, which led us farther away from our desired destination (i.e., my house), and ended up on Kalentong.

"I've never even been to Kalentong!" said H, who was remarkably calm, although I feared that he was mighty pissed off. "I think it's in Mandaluyong," I offered meekly. "At least we're together..." I added. Small consolation considering the next street sign we saw was Blumentritt, marking highly unfamiliar territory. "Where the f--- are we?" said H, although he didn't really sound like he was ranting.

A while later, we found our way to my house, and I was extremely apologetic. "It's OK," he reassured me. "I kinda thought we were supposed to turn right instead of go straight, but I just trusted you."

I swear, this man is something else!

On a side note, this is just one of the reasons why I would make an undesirable Amazing Race partner. And the others are:

1. "Can you read maps?" I asked H. "Of course!" he replied incredulously. "Oh OK," I said. "I normally end up reading maps in reverse..."
2. I haven't driven in over two years, and I've never even driven an automatic. So I am totally useless both as a navigator and as a driver.
3. I can't ride a bike.

BUT you can throw all the physical and mental tasks at me and I'll do them. Hey, you can't have it all, right?

7 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM , Blogger Leah said...

    Yeba Amazing Race!! But I don't drive and I don't swim, so that would make me a semi-sucky race partner too.

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    hey my friend and i pulled a ala-Amazing Race choorva when we were in Hong Kong and Bangkok.. We read maps and pointed out the street signs... we realized that we're too slow for these things... hehehe!

    oh yeah, the family and I did some ala-Amazing Race in Israel... wala na talo na kami.. my Mom couldn't take the Israeli heat and my dad was quite slow.. although he's better in reading maps.. hehehe!

    i haven't driven manual transmission in centuries!! wala na patay-patay tayo jan!!

    I can ride a bike... di ko lang abot ang pedal... damn for short legs!

     
  • At 7:57 AM , Blogger moonpool said...

    Kalentong! That's super near my house. If you're ever lost in the area you can call me. :P Haha! Jo got lost somewhere there before and called me. Hehe!

    I've never really learned how to drive a manual... my family kinda gave up on that. You should try driving an automatic, it's really easy. :)

    And even if I drive, I still have a horrible sense of direction... it's kind of improved though, because I need to be more alert now...

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger Leah said...

    I'm not too bad with maps as long as they're very very detailed. Hahaha. When I first came to Manila for college, father dearest gave me this huge map of Metro Manila. :P Hmm that reminds me... I need to get that map back from Frances one of these days. It has sentimental value. :P

     
  • At 6:02 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    Lei, I'm not a very strong swimmer so there go the swimming challenges as well. Hmmm, I think I'm eyeing the wrong reality show.

    Glad, nakakalito magbasa ng mapa sa Bangkok! They have three different ways to spell Lumphini/Lumpini/Lumpinee, for one!

    Ric, I don't think we'll be finding ourselves there anytime soon. Haha.

     
  • At 9:40 AM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    ooohhh you went to lumpini heh? did you go to that big night market?? i forgot the name, i think it's suanlum market whatevs...

    p-a-s-a-l-u-b-o-n-g....

    bwahahaha!!

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger Tisha said...

    I bought you guys duty-free chocolate. Haha. Pero kailangan sumipot sa practice...

    Come to think of it, kailangan ko rin sumipot sa practice. Haha. Baka sa Sunday ko na lang dalhin.:)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home