Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Friday, July 25, 2008

Mamma Mia! with mamma mia

I was supposed to watch Mamma Mia! with a couple of friends, but they ditched me. Haha. No big, coz I ended up watching with mumsy. In fact, I think I should thank my friends.

I don't think mumsy and I had ever gone on a movie date prior to last night, but this was perhaps one of the best movies for us to watch. It's not because we're Abba fans, but it's because of the whole Donna-Sohpie dynamic. Since I'm the only girl, and was sort of brought up by my mother, the movie resonated with me. The scene where Donna helps Sophie get ready for her wedding was especially poignant, and I'll admit that I cried. I hid it from my mother, but after the movie, I found out that she cried, too! "Naalala kita. Gusto ko nga hawakan ang kamay mo eh," she said. I hugged her as we were on the escalator.

The lyrics were on the screen (so the audience could sing along), so I was able to pay close attention to the words. The song's entitled Slipping Through My Fingers...

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that Im losing her forever
And without really entering her world
Im glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when shes gone theres that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I cant deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didnt
And why I just dont know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think Im close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...

Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile...

~*~*~*~

The words, the various scenes showing mother and daughter were so touching, and I'm tearing up right now as I think about my own mother. Oh, how I love her so!

Drama out of the way, I'm also glad I got to see this movie because it made me less afraid of growing old. While I am the youngest in the family, I am the oldest in my barkada, and one of the older ones on the team. Age has been a bit of an issue with me in recent years; in recent months, in fact, I've been fearing that time has been going by too fast. I was feeling that my best years were behind me, that the time for great adventures had passed. But seeing Donna with her two friends, jumping into the sea, all wild and carefree--ahh, my friends and I have a lifetime's worth of adventures ahead of us, with years of friendship to see us through. Growing old? It won't be so bad after all. Iba ang may pinagsamahan!

The movie also made me want to have a daughter--not just think that it'd be nice to have one, but actually want one. In my old blog, I wrote about how I wanted sons, not daughters, because daughters more easily betray their mothers than sons do, I heard. Every now and then I am reminded that a mother-daughter relationship is indeed something truly special. Mamma Mia! reminded me that.



Wow, so many realizations came with this one musical! What can I do but...say thank you for the music...

(You knew that was coming.)

4 Comments:

  • At 12:51 AM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    aaawwwww i think i should watch it with mmmoommmmeeeehhhhhhhh this weekend. =) it really looks like a mother-daughter type of movie.

    anyway can i just share that in one record store, i guess it's the mamma mia! craze or something, they incessantly played abba songs and people couldn't help but sing and dance to it... talk about disco's definitely back in the house!

     
  • At 11:03 AM , Blogger Tisha said...

    Catch it before the run ends! Only child ka pa, maa-affect ka nito! Hehe.

     
  • At 1:01 PM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    omigosh i watched it last night with mommeeehhhh sobrang naiyak nga ako on that scene where donna helps sophie get ready for her wedding. same moment as what you had with your mom. waaaaahhh!!

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    O di ba? Bonding moment!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home