Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Monday, June 26, 2006

Groundhog Day

I came across an article called "Shake It Up," and it said, "Ever get the feeling that every day of your life is the same? Time to drag yourself out of that rut."

Uh-oh. This story had my name all over it. Lately, I've been feeling like there's a lack of excitement in my life, and I'm just getting plain bored. And bored is a dangerous thing to be. I do have a non-desk job, and I have great friends, and I've got no complaints in the love department (which, according to the article, is "an area where many of us hanker for change"). But lately I've been thinking I'm ready for more. Much more.

I was talking to a co-worker earlier and I said I realized that, while there are some people who have all the luck in the world, and others who have the most rotten luck, I'm just sailing through life somewhere in the middle. What was it that Aristotle said about "moderation" again? That it was a boring load of crap? (Hmm, must brush up on Nicomachean Ethics.) I never win anything major, but I don't lose anything major either. And co-worker said that at least, I didn't fall under the category of the negative extreme. True, and I am thankful, no matter how much I bitch about boredom. But it'd be nice to shake things up a bit.

For others in a similar rut, the magazine advises:
  1. Take a different route to work.
  2. Enrol in (or at least enquire about) a dance class/uni course/yoga workshop.
  3. Try a new cuisine or dish.
  4. Try a new sport: book a friend for next Saturday morning and hire rollerblades, kayaks or golf clubs together. Bonus: you'll tone all the muscles you don't normally use.
  5. Volunteer for a team project or fundraising committee.
  6. Start a blog--be creative and get it off your chest.
  7. Visit an area of your city or town that you've never explored before.
  8. Read a book by an author you've never tried.
  9. Send someone flowers "just because" or buy some for yourself.
  10. Rearrange you living room.
I think I just need to take off.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM , Blogger montalut said...

    try solo travel tishie!
    HUGS to you. will leave you with two quotes from two greats in my life:

    "If your everyday life seems boring, don't blame it; blame yourself. You're not enough of a poet to call forth its riches." - Rilke

    "Only the boring are bored." Mark Escaler

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger Leah said...

    great. i get bored all the time. that means i'm boring. hahaha :)

    solo travel does sound fun.

     
  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger Tisha said...

    Solo travel is something I'd like to do, but it isn't really feasible right now. I will be taking off next month though (with Hamil), so I'm looking forward to that!

    Fine, I'm boring. Haha. But I think we all have these phases when we feel like we're in a rut.

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger montalut said...

    you can try solo travel for a day first.

    in any case, have fun in bohol! :)

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Blogger outsidebound said...

    The Laguna Loop is a great solo day trip. Public transpo's efficient, you just gotta figure it out.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home