Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Thursday, April 19, 2007

What, no rice terraces?

So there's this online voting thing to determine which are the new seven wonders of the world (http://www.new7wonders.com/). They've narrowed the list down to 20. It's now my goal to see all of them before I croak:

Acropolis (Athens, Greece)
Alhambra (Granada, Spain)
Angkor (Cambodia)
The Pyramid at Chichen Itza (Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico)
Christ Redeemer (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
The Roman Colosseum (Rome, Italy)
Statues of Easter Island (Easter Island, Chile)
The Eiffel Tower (Paris, France)
Great Wall of China (China)
Hagia Sophia (Istanbul, Turkey)
Kiyomizu Temple (Kyoto, Japan)
The Kremlin and Red Square (Moscow, Russia)
Machu Picchu (Peru)
Neuschwanstein Castle (Schwangau, Germany)
Petra (Jordan)
The Statue of Liberty (New York, USA)
Stonehenge (Amesbury, UK)
Sydney Opera House (Sydney, Australia)
The Taj Mahal (Agra, India)
Timbuktu (Mali)

The Pyramids of Giza (Egypt) was taken off the list and made an honorary candidate since it's the last one standing among the ancient wonders. In short, ibang level siya! Haha.

I've seen the Colosseum, the Eiffel Tower (but didn't get to go up because the line was sooo loooong, and we only had a couple of days in Paris), and the Statue of Liberty. We wanted to go see Stonehenge, but our "tour guide," a Pinoy who probably didn't feel like driving all the way from London, dismissed the idea by saying, "Bato lang 'yon!" Geez. I was also supposed to accompany my mom to the Holy Land this year, and take a side trip to Egypt. And if Jordan's nearby (forgive me, I'm bad at geography), we could go see Petra...so that's two wonders in one trip. But I decided not to go on the trip this year, thinking that the pyramids will always be there, and I could go some day when it won't hurt my savings as much.

So, out of 21, I've only been to three places. Hmmm. Gotta get crackin'!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Dondi said...

    Cool. This reminds me of the show they have here 101 places you should see before you die. Kinda cool.

    Shucks, from the list here I've only been to 1. hahahaha. pathetic.

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    There are also lists for "100 books to read before you die" and "100 movies to watch before you die." Hmmm, maybe I should come up with a "100 things to eat before you die." Haha. Although someone's bound to have come up with this by now!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home