Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Saturday, January 26, 2008

He got Serbed!

I still can't frickin' believe it--world no. 1 Federer, THE Roger Federer, got booted out of the Australian Open by no. 3 Novak Djokovic! In straight sets! On the one hand, it's cool 'coz at least tennis has become somewhat unpredictable again. On the other, it's kind of sad. A grand slam final without Federer. I didn't think it would happen any time soon. (Nadal ain't in it either. What's going on?!)

Federer's thoughts? "I've created a monster that I need to win every tournament," he said. "Still, the semifinals isn't bad." That's true. It must be hard coping with people's expectations of him.

I'm still stunned though. You can read about it here. The women's final is supposedly a glamorous match--Sharapova vs. Ivanovic. See? It is possible to be hot AND at the top of your game. It's just weird that none of my manoks are in the finals: no Nadal, no Blake, no Henin! OK, Blake I can understand. But Nadal and Henin? Can't wait til the next Grand Slam.

P.S.
While I wish I could take credit for that title, I just paraphrased the Yahoo! heading. I thought it was brilliant!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    I'm sorry but I was so happy that Federer got booted out at the Aussie Open.. I mean the king of court's really excellent but I got sawa of him already eh. He's been winning since 2003 (well except for French Open since Rafa's been ruling the clays). Maiba naman deebuh!! His reign has to end... Mwahahahahahaha!!

    I gotta agree with about Maria Sharapova and Jelena Ivanovic... it is really possible to be hot and at the top of the game. Their really good! The pictorials while holding the trophy and the big silver plato looked so chic!

     
  • At 1:48 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    Hahaha. I figured that if anyone was gonna comment on this entry, it was going to be you.:)

     
  • At 3:21 PM , Blogger grumpyurbanslacker said...

    i was real sad Fed lost, bec. i wanted him to break Sampras' Grand Slam record soonest...pero i'm sure he'll live to fight another day and beat Dyokovic at another tournament.
    Darn. May araw din yang Serb na yan!

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    How did these Serbs get to be so good at tennis to begin with? I never knew they had such a good training program. (Forgive me, I only started getting interested in tennis late 2006!)

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Blogger gladzalwayshappy said...

    oh these serbs have been good in tennis eversince. they have the likes of monica seles (born in yugoslavia, then became a US citizen afterwards) and goran ivanisevic, the uber hot tennis player with the most humongous serve (although he's from croatia, serb rin yan deebuh!!). and there are a bunch of them sa tabi-tabi!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home