Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Friday, April 07, 2006

I realized something about myself recently: I'm quite protective when it comes to my friends. Sometimes we're able to see things better as an outsider, and, unblinded by an attachment to the situation, believe that a friend is about to make a huge mistake. Over the years, I've learned that people are going to do what they want to do (no matter how brilliant or insightful my--or anyone else's--words of wisdom are) and that they tend to listen only to what they want to hear. So I generally steer clear of giving unbidden advice, and resist the urge to grab a friend by the shoulders and shake him/her back to reality. Which is not to say that friends don't see me roll my eyes or purse my lips. It sucks being this transparent.

I'm in a bit of pain now seeing my friend struggling with something, and my tongue is getting raw from all my biting. I hate feeling helpless, knowing that all I can do is stand aside and hope against hope that I'm wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home