Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The year in review

I was trying to figure out what my top 5 events/experiences of 2006 were, and so far, most of them involved travel! There's going to Bohol with H, going to Bora and Cebu for work, and going to Singapore for 5 Takes--although the 5 Takes experience as a whole was definitely one of the major highlights, possibly at the top of the list. (Which reminds me, I still haven't finished writing about it!)

Of course I'm incredibly thankful for everything I got to experience last year, but I decided to instead write about the things that I've learned, or have begun to learn.

The most recent lesson: Instead of wallowing in loneliness (which I've been prone to lately, even when I'm surrounded by lots of people), I have to be able to find comfort in solitude. What brought this about merits an entire blog entry, albeit a private one. Suffice it to say that it's a lesson I'm trying to take to heart.

The night before I turned 27, I was feeling down about the whole late 20s thing. As Tatamaps said, "You'll be checking a different box." But on my birthday, I was fortunate enough to have had a little talk with Cosmo ed Ianne, who asked me how old I was. When I told her, she replied fondly, "That was a good age. Not because I got married, but it was just a good year." By 27, she explained, you begin to become more accepting of who you are (she slapped her thigh and said, "Eh, nanjan na 'yan eh!"), and you're less stressed over little things. It honestly made me feel so much better, and it gave me something to look forward to.

She also mentioned something about being able to determine who should be in your life. This was something I started to implement in my own life about two years ago. I just reached the point when I stopped trying to please everyone, and started understanding that there really are certain people whose very presence in my life can be toxic. I've learned to cut people out of my life--I don't do it a lot, mind you, but it's something that I've deemed necessary in extreme cases. Selfish as it may be, it's about keeping my sanity intact, and about taking my efforts at forging a friendship that isn't meant to be and redirecting that effort into more worthwhile pursuits. Some people don't understand it. (They probably come from the school of try-and-try-until-you-die. Really, sometimes it's just not worth it.) But I think I have the kind of peace of mind that I wouldn't be able to get if I carried on with these corrosive relationships.

I've learned that "blood is thicker than water" isn't necessarily true. Certainly, my family will always be there to support me and love me unconditionally. But friends, in the truest sense of the word, ahh--they are their own brand of special. They will be there for me and I will be there for them, not simply because of some genetic connection, but because we want to and because we choose to. (Freedom of choice totally rocks!)

I've learned, rather, was reminded that God is great. He does give me what I ask for, but all in the right time--sometimes years later. Two instances come to mind: When I was a kid, I longed to be in a commercial, but after a while realized that I wasn't telegenic enough for it. Haha. Years later, it actually came true. (Instead of some soap commercial though, it was for food. How very apt. Haha.) And because I was older and--dare I say it?--wiser, it didn't appeal to my vanity so much as it did to my thirst for and openness to new experiences. It's something I can check off my list, and an experience that I really did enjoy.

Instance no. 2: Years ago, I really really wanted to work for a travel show on Discovery Channel. This was when I was hooked on a show called Travelers. But I thought that this was nothing more than a pipe dream. Realistically, what were the chances that someone from a developing country would land a hosting gig on an international travel show? But God works in sneaky ways, and last year, this fantasy nearly came true. I never imagined it was even possible. Ang galing lang.

So yeah, you get what you pray for. It might not be right away, it might not be in the way you thought your prayers would be answered, but trust Him. He knows what He's doing.

Have a fabulous year, everyone!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice entry Tish, ganda naman. =)

    I truly agree that God is great and He really grants your wishes when you least expect them. He's genuinely smart...simply amazing!!! Hehehe!

    By the way, I wasn't able to see the debut pics you sent coz I was registered in the edsamail account. I'm sure emails are bouncing coz I can't open the account for some weird reason. And so I registered in my other email. I wanna see them, nakakasenti talaga. Thanks much!!! Sorry for blabbing it here, nabibo...yikes.

    -claud

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    Hey Claud! Wow, nice getting a comment from you here. Re: the debut pics, I'll bring my album next time we all meet up. Hahaha. Let's ask everyone else to bring theirs! A blast-from-the-past party!:)

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey i used to watch travelers too! hot pa `yung asian na host hahaha

    ...where do we go from here?

     
  • At 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    just be really careful on what you pray for... you might just get it....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home