Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Videoke weekend

I went videoke-ing twice over the weekend. Friday night (after that horrendous day, which, by the way, didn't end with the last bullet point), I hung out with the MC2 peeps a.k.a. the Frisbeer group. We got a videoke room as some of the girls stayed outside, playing billiards and getting sloshed. One song was stuck in my head 'til today--Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler--and I Youtubed the video.

Can I just say that the original video is some scary-ass ish! It's a mark of a good video when, decades later, it can still make an impact! While straight men might by freaked out by the somewhat homo-erotic dancing, any regular person would still be spooked by the other elements of the video...



My older friends said that it was "groundbreaking" at that time, and I must agree! Sure, "bright eyes" was a tad literal...but hey, it's memorable!

Saturday, H and I went to Chellette's despedida at Centerstage (a videoke place owned by K). More singing! It was cool hanging out with H (can't seem to get enough of him lately), and it was nice seeing his friends again. It had been a while. No Total Eclipse, but I sang So Slow again. Didn't do a very good job of it, but I've overcome my stage fright and just sing my heart out now. The essence of videoke isn't talent after all. It's showmanship! (Refer to Cameron Diaz in My Best Friend's Wedding.)

P.S. I'm still looking for a videoke place with Divinyls' I Touch Myself in its repertoire!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home