Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Too much of a good thing

I had my bone density scanned this morning. (Image is in keeping with the spirit of Halloween!) The result? I'm too damn healthy.

The test is supposed to tell you if you're at high risk for osteoporosis. You put your bare foot on this machine, and it shows the result in about a minute. High risk is about -4 to -2.5, moderate risk is about -2.5 to -1, while low risk is from -1 to 2. While my friends "scored" between 1 and 2, my magic number was...3.6!

OK, so it's probably all that milk that I drink every day. I thought it was a good thing, but the dude warned that "too much of anything is bad." He recommended that I drink more water because the calcium in my body might not break down into liquid form, and thus turn into kidney stones or something. Eight glasses a day. On a good day, I drink about two liters, which is more than the recommended amount, I think. But I guess given my active lifestyle, I need more water than the average sedentary person.

And to think I was worried that my bones were brittle from all the beating my body endures. Hmm. I guess I'm proof that milk really is good for your bones.

Image taken from here.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    chums, i drink milk everyday too... uh-oh... hehe!

     
  • At 1:34 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

    I think maybe I'm just not getting enough water. I think OK lang ang 1-2 glasses a day of milk.:) But hey, I'd rather be overly low risk than high risk.:)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home