Street but Sweet

THOUGHTS, TALES, AND TRIVIAL THINGS

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top 10 for 2009 (part 1)

Instead of blogging about the top 10 experiences of 2009 (number one, of course, would be the day I became a missus!), I've decided to honor 10 people who made an impact on my year and helped make it memorable.

I originally intended for this to be just one post, but I've had to divide it into two. I figured that these people deserve more than one line each!

10. D&G


Me and the brothers with Xtian and his scary-ass stare

Lolo and my lil bro. These boys actually watched me dance on stage...and made fun of me afterwards (but also asked me to teach them the steps to "Single Ladies")--surprise of my life when the stage lights went on and I heard a familiar voice from the audience yell, "Go, tanda!" They joined my team for whatever reason (most probably alcohol). They took me out for drinks when I needed it most (i.e., the peak of all the wedding stress). They were there on my wedding day, and D supposedly got out of work just to be able to do so.

T: Kumain ka nang marami.
D: I can't, I have a shoot next week.
T: O sige, uminom ka na lang. Open bar.
D: Hindi rin pwede.
T: Hindi ka kakain, hindi ka iinom. Ano ba yan!
D: ANG DAMI MONG HINIHINGI! NANDITO NA NGA AKO!

9. Blue


Photo by Ogee

My favorite Blue quote of the year: "Sayaw nang sayaw, akala naman niya kagalingan! Gusto pa sa gitna!"

I once told him, "For someone who says a lot, you sure don't reveal much!" I can tell him anything, and I completely trust that he won't yap about it to anyone else--even when he threatens to. He was my bud in Dumags, and for some reason, I feel like I could chat or talk to him forever. He's a great listener and gives really sensible advice. Oo, ako rin nagulat. Hahaha. Peace, dude.

8. Mia Fau
I've looked up to this very smart, kind-hearted woman ever since I was in grade school. Mia was there for me when I was so conflicted over something, and she helped me sort through my muddle of thoughts and feelings. When I felt like I was being judged by people who mattered to me, she gave me tremendous support and guidance. I feel like we have somewhat similar values and even somewhat similar lives, and so she understood me in a way that others couldn't. Hearing her words of comfort and her counsel really gave me a bit of clarity, and helped put my mind and my heart at ease.

7. Mike


I just realized Cheng's in this photo too! Just look for the girl in the wedding gown!

Our future neighbor. Haha. Mike and I have this grand plan of building our future houses on adjacent lots, and leaving the kids with H as he, Cheng, and I play disc! (H, in turn, would take off on basketball days.) In 2009, I got nothing but all-out support from Mike, one of my closest friends on the team. Through leagues, weddings (both mine and his), relationships, I felt like he was there for me, and I was more than willing to be there for him (and Cheng!).

6. Addie
(Alas my wedding-day pic with her is in another computer!)

Oh, Addie, how I love her so. Because of her, I was utterly relaxed on our wedding day. After going to sooo many weddings and seeing how pushy (veiled as "professional") some coordinators could be, I told her that I totally appreciated how nice and charming and pleasant she was at my wedding, even when craziness was happening all around her (no safety pins for corsages, a guest --who sent regrets!--who came asking for a table for 10, etc.). I loved that she made it a point to go to my despedida de soltera with Milo and Paolo in tow, so she could meet some of the key people at the wedding. I was glad she came, not for coordination reasons, but because I wanted my family and close friends to meet one of the most special people in my life.

The second half of my top 10 for 2009 to follow!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home